Home Inmate Roster Message From the Sheriff Press Releases Contact Us
Adams County Sheriff's Office Natchez, Mississippi
Sign Up For Alerts 
Like Us on Facebook!
Most Wanted Sex Offenders
Frequenty Asked Questions




 Q: How do I apply for a job at the Adams County Sheriff's Office?

 A: Click here for answer


Q: How do I obtain records from the ACSO?

A: Download, print and fill out the ACSO's Background Check Form.  Present this document and a current photo I.D. to our deputies in our front office located at 306 State Street.

For information about what records can and cannot be obtained, email us at records@adamscosheriff.org.


Q: How does the new ordinance about false alarming systems read?

A:  Page 1 - False Alarm Ordinance
     Page 2 - False Alarm Ordinance
     Page 3 - False Alarm Ordinance

Firearms Permits FAQs

Q: How can I transport my handgun thru Mississippi while on vacation or just passing thru?

A: Mississippi Law Sec. 97-37-1 (2) states “It shall not be a violation of this section for any person over the age of eighteen (18) to carry a firearm or deadly weapon concealed in whole or in part within the confines of his own home or his place of business, or any real property associated with his home or business or within any motor vehicle”.

If you will be traveling on the Natchez Trace Federal Parkway, please contact them directly at (662)842-1572 for their rules & regulation on transporting your firearm.

Q: With what other states does Mississippi have reciprocity? (Whose permits do we honor, who honors ours?)

A: Mississippi recognizes valid, unrevoked and unexpired license to carry stun guns, concealed pistols, or revolvers issued in other states.  Also, the Department of Public Safety is authorized to enter into reciprocal agreements with other states if those states require a written agreement for reciprocity.  Mississippi has written reciprocity agreements with the following states:  Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming.

Q: How do I get a permit?

A: First time applications are now available at your nearest Highway Patrol Substation. There are substations located in Jackson, Greenwood, Batesville, New Albany, Starkville, Meridian, Hattiesburg, D’Iberville, and Brookhaven. Be sure to check “Firearm Permit Locations” for date & time of processing.

MISSISSIPPI DOES NOT HAVE NON-RESIDENT PERMITS. Mississippi Law 45-9-101 (2) (a) states “The Department of Public Safety shall issue a license if the applicant: is a resident of the state and has been a resident for twelve (12) months or longer immediately preceding the filing of the application”.

NOTE: RENEWAL packets will continue to be mailed 90 days prior to expiration as stated in the statute. REMEMBER TO KEEP YOUR ADDRESS CURRENT. Please contact us regarding lost, misplaced or undelivered renewal packets.

Q: How much does it cost to get an Individual Firearm Permit?

A: The fee for a first time Individual Firearm Permit is $132.00. The permit is valid for five (5) years. About 90 days prior to the permit’s expiration date, a renewal package is sent to the permit holder. The renewal fee is $82.00. There is a $15 late fee for expired permits. A permit expired for 6 months or more is deemed permanently expired and the permit holder must reapply.

Q: How much does it cost to get a Security Guard Permit?

A: The fee for a Security Guard Permit is $132.00. The permit is valid for four (4) years.

Q: Do I have to be re-fingerprinted every time I renew my permit?

A: No. Fingerprints will be done every other five year renewal. We know your prints do not change, but your eligibility to be a permit holder can. Our laws require a background check thru the FBI. The FBI will not check a set of fingerprints that are over six (6) months old.

Q: How long does it take to get permit after I apply?


  1. Mississippi Law 45-9-101 (6) © “states the Department of Public Safety shall, within forty five (45) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in subsection (5) of this section:
    1. Issue the license: or
    2. Deny the application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to meet the requirements.

Q: What do I do if my address changes?

A: Within thirty (30) days after the changing of a permanent address, you must notify the Department of Public Safety in writing. The change of address should be mailed to the Firearm Permit Unit, P.O. Box 958, Jackson, MS 39205-0958. Be sure to include in your correspondence your name, permit number, old and new addresses, and a contact number in case of questions.

Q: What do I do if my permit is lost or destroyed?

A: Within thirty (30) days after having a permit lost or destroyed, you must notify the Department of Public Safety (DPS) in writing. A notarized statement to DPS that the permit has been lost or destroyed is required. If your permit is lost or destroyed, you may obtain a duplicate for $15. Duplicates are done at the Firearm Permit Unit at DPS headquarters and at the substations according to their published schedule. If you need further explanation, you can contact your nearest substation or the Firearm Permit Unit at DPS headquarters.


Sex Offender FAQs


A: You should contact Deputy Karren Ewing at the Adams County Sheriff’s Office immediately.  It is possible that they are a convicted Sex Offender from another County or State and have not registered to live in Adams County; therefore Non-Compliant under State Law, which is a Felony.


Q: Can a Sex Offender who lives in another state come to Adams County to work?

A: Yes, but they must obtain written permission from the Sheriff’s Office in the County or Parish in which they are registered. The Sex Offender must also immediately register with Adams County Sheriff’s Office to be able to legally work in Adams County.


Q: Are there specific areas in which Sex Offender is NOT allowed to live?                               

A: Yes. Effective July 1, 2006, convicted sex offenders who are required to register in Mississippi are prohibited from residing within 1500 feet of the real property comprising a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school or a childcare facility. Effective July 1, 2008, additional prohibited areas of residency were added which include: a residential child-caring agency, a children’s group care home or any playground, ball-park or other recreational facility utilized by persons under the age of eighteen (18) years. However, the following exceptions are provided in the law:

If residence is within 1500 feet of a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school or a childcare facility;

This does not apply if the offender’s residence was established prior to July 1, 2006 or the school or facility is located after the offender established residency;

If residence is within 1500 feet of the real property comprising a residential child-caring agency, a children’s group care home or any playground, ball-park or other recreational facility utilized by persons under the age of eighteen (18) years;

This does not apply if the offender established the subject residence prior to      July 1, 2008, or the residential child-caring agency, children’s group care home or any playground, ball park or other recreational facility utilized by persons under the age of eighteen (18) years was established within 1500 feet of the person’s residence subsequent to the date the person established residency.


Q: What do I do if the website shows an address or place of employment for a Sex Offender, but I never see them there?

A: Contact the Adams County Sheriff’s Office immediately.  It is very important for the public to stay alert to these sorts of occurrences. Neighbors are more apt to notice as they can observe activities in the absence of law enforcement. The Sex Offender Registrar welcomes tips from the citizens to help keep the neighborhoods safe from sexual predators. Every tip will be appreciated and immediately investigated. Tipsters’ identity is always kept confidential. 


Q: What do I do if a Sex Offender informs me that he is such and wants to work for me or participate in an event in which I am in charge?

A: You have the right not to hire and to refuse the Sex Offender participation.





Any additional questions can be sent to:

Crime Tips HOTline - Submit via Email
Emergency - Dial 911 - Phone 601-442-2752 (24 hours) Adams County, Mississippi | Mississippi Department of Public Safety | Mississippi Sheriffs' Association | Natchez, Inc.

Phone: 601-442-2752 (24 hours) • Fax: 601-442-3926 • Email • 306 State Street • Natchez, MS 39120 • Map Administrative Office Hours: M-F 8am-5pm
Another Most Wanted Website by Brooks Jeffrey Marketing, Inc.